Video here, story here.

In an interview with NBC’s Brian Williams, former Democratic President Jimmy Carter attributed much of the conservative opposition that President Obama is receiving to the issue of race.

“I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man,” Carter said. “I live in the South, and I’ve seen the South come a long way, and I’ve seen the rest of the country that share the South’s attitude toward minority groups at that time, particularly African Americans.”

Carter continued, “And that racism inclination still exists. And I think it’s bubbled up to the surface because of the belief among many white people, not just in the South but around the country, that African-Americans are not qualified to lead this great country. It’s an abominable circumstance, and it grieves me and concerns me very deeply.”

In related news, yesterday the US House of Representatives passed a resolution of disapproval against Rep. Joe Wilson of “You lie” fame. Thanks to the Georgia Blue Dogs for manning up.

Tagged with:

13 Responses to Jimmy Carter on race, the South and President Obama

1. J.M. Prince says:

Again more really solid & sober professionals who think Joe Wilson’s a not so closeted racist: (Via TPM)

Just for the record, with historian Doug Brinkley.

2. J.M. Prince says:

Thanks for the reminder IRE. Not for nothing that all this crazy talk often turns deadly. It’s just that not enough of the right people notice, until far too late. But it’s happening all the damn time.

FYI: Follow some of the lesser known Glock intrigue here & with Bizweek:

As if it would matter much, right? Again, great guns made by foul people. The Nazi’s would be proud.

3. Tim says:

It took me three tries to watch this entirely – videoand interviews from the latest march in DC – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPMjC9mq5Y

4. J.M. Prince says:

More racist teabagger lovelies here:

5. innerredneckexposed says:

wtf to the trolls and they seem to be finding bford a lot more now. Whats the reason/guess?

6. PaulaG says:

Also, just FYI, tonight is the Carter Town Hall at Emory.

7. PaulaG says:

Oh, OK, jmk, I’ll play along. How’s this one: http://www.gonemild.com/2009/04/tea-bagger-potty-line.html

8. J.M. Prince says:

Yeah, if you post it here for the 1st time, but 4 times, it Must be true, right? The argument is not just with the organized teabaggers, but with Rep. Joe Wilson himself. Who DOES have a position on the Confederate Flag, (he voted to keep it flying over the State House, one of the last to do so), and has been known to be a racist boor in the past, as one of ol Strom’s last hires. That’s how he got ahead in SC Politics. And yeah, we‚Äôve got a problem with that. Go figure.

But spend 2 Trillion dollars for a useless & needless ‘war of choice in Iraq’ under BushCo? None of the Rethugs complained. Not on budget? Ever? In 8 Years? Unprecedented! Not a whisper from the right on the fiscal madness of that or actually Cutting Taxes irresponsibly while troops suffered in the field for lack of good armor protection. After Years of Parents Begging them to do so? Yeah. Not. One. Peep. (Save for Rep. Ron Paul perhaps).

Again, that was evidently the 1st time in Recorded History that an administration Continued to cut taxes while engaged in a war of any significant duration. What does that spell Kiddies? Fiscal responsibility? Not hardly, it was Another 2 Trillion dollars worth of debt for our kids & grandkids to pay for the largess of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy & millionaires.

Under Bush we had wars w/o end & w/o any questions. Never any questions asked by the GOP Congress. No oversight at ALL. Tons of Tax breaks for rich cronies & subsidies for inefficient industries because they were favored or connected to the Rethug ‘vision for America’. A hugely inefficient Medicare Part D that was the greatest expansion of government spending since LBJ, and ALL of it, Yes again nearly another 1 Trillion dollars, paid out to Big Pharma Directly as a gift from the coffers of the US Treasury. And the Bill Demanded that there be absolutely NO ‘shopping around’ for the best prices (something the VA & the Military Tri-Care & Medicare systems do routinely with little problem). You want ‘Market based solutions for health care’? Where the Hell were you when you might have made a difference under Bush? Yeah. I figured! Hiding under your bed cowering from the ebbil Tabbies. Or enjoying the show, from a distance. Now you want to talk about Freedom? Just too precious. Tell it to what ever Dick Armey who paid for it all. You’re just a cog in someone else’s noise machine. JMP

9. jmk says:

I attended the 912dc march. I did not see one instance of racism. I believe that the group of people that disagree are frustrated that they have not been successfull in rallying their troups to counter protest and they are attempting to insite them to challenge us. We simply disagree with excessive government spending, government policies that erode our liberty, and an overwelming level of corruption in Republican and Democrat politics. Please look at the over 8,000 posts of pictures on flickr. I challenge you to find ONE example of racism.

10. Heather Ross says:

Jimmy, the accuser of the brethren. How is it that u know the minds and hearts of people, and suppose its those rednecks in the south causing all the problem again? So u hav talked to American Tea Party demos? They told u they hate someone? I don’t think so. As CNN & u state, “race” it has to be, ooooo! Start trouble in America. Will u accept responsibility for increased tensions of races now or blame it on others? U makin’ the claims over the USA. Hav u heard any tea partiers say anything derogatory? I don’t think so. By the by, Afro-Americans, Hispanics, Latinos, hav also been apart of tea parties so u need to eat ur words and hav some tea!

11. J.M. Prince says:

BTW: Here’s Markos’ (Kos) take on it:

And yeah. Anyone alive during the Clinton years of Media & GOP manufactured ‘scandals’ knew that this was coming. It’s only a matter of time. It’s the 1st cudgel they always reach for: Hate, Fear, Reaction & Lies. Depend on it. Always. Rethugs! JMP

12. J.M. Prince says:

Good on Ol’ Jimmy here! I’ve been saying this for awhile now too. From the widespread personal experience I have with almost every other white male over the age of 50 I meet here in Ga. who express to me in one form or another a deep desire to harm the President or a profound, yet seemingly mindless hatred of same. Eventually they come to realize that although I can be fairly genial about it all, and listen carefully too, I’m definitely not of the same mind, so they don’t often mention this egregious & violently radical approach to me a 2nd time.

And if you’ve seen me do it, here it is again: I smile and slowly say, ‘OK, that’s your position. I completely understand it. So how do you spell you last name & ‘report’?’ And I smile again broadly.

Surprisingly, this seems to work (superficially at least) for the more open announcements of this bubbling & seething yet often deadly hatred.

See here:

& here @ Dave Neiwert’s blog

for an extended discussion & treatment of this one of the oldest & most deadly & persistent social diseases of mankind, & how it relates to us Today. JMP