Former State Representative Charlie Smith, Jr. wants to abandon the dollar bill in favor of dollar coins. Reportedly, it’ll save the US government $500,000,000.00 and that’s a lot of zeros.

Smith claims he’s circulated more than 20,000 coins in Camden and has convinced several businesses and banks in the county to start using them. The Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base now maintains a 50/50 ratio of $1 bills to coins at the Navy Exchange and plans to drop the bills altogether by 2011, all thanks to Smith’s evangelism, according to the article.

I love this idea. Also, randomly, I interned for Rep. Smith when I was in college.

36 Responses to Dollar Bill, Y’all!

Looks like Mr. Preston Smith aka bible thumper has some divorce baggage.. Isn’t he the same one that wants to use the bible to enforce laws?

“State Sen. Preston Smith, a Republican candidate for attorney general, had an extramarital affair with a woman whom he hired to work in his Senate office in 2003 and 2004, according to transcripts of Smith’s testimony in his 2009 divorce. The woman, who also worked on his Senate election campaigns, no longer lives in Georgia.”

Love it..

There’s no damn way that it’ll ever save the money claimed for it, BTW. And yes, it’s been studied before & constantly. This has been the shorter JMP.

3. Jason says:

But if we don’t have dollar bills, what will we use to tip the strippers?

• Jen B. says:

A friend from Canada said they threw coins at the strippers. But, he was also an asshole.

• Ed says:

They put a jar or fishbowl filled with water on the bar or something to put tips.

In Australia, because the notes float, are all different colors, and can’t be ripped (all synthetic FTW) they bowl looks really cool at the end of the night. I only know this from bars, not strip clubs.

• Catherine says:

Um, the days of dollar bills for dancers are way over. Fives (at the VERY least) but really tens and twenties are your best choice. That’s hard work. They’ve been getting dollar bills for-f’ing-ever.

4. JerryT says:

Paper dollars suck.
    How much of our economy is wasted every year by dollars being destroyed in the laundry?
    Think of the increased health benefits of all those fat cats NOT being able to light their cigars with paper currency!
    Not sure what the strippers would do.

The biggest problem I see is that all the cool coin designs have already been taken.

5. JerryT says:

What, did you shoot your TV or something?

6. Ed says:

The Rethuglican trickery continues.

While their assault on the Republic goes unnoticed by the MSM. Again. While we watch.

IRE

7. Ed says:

For these troubling times. A prize will be awarded to who can successfully identify the backup vocalist.

IRE

8. Ed says:

Wasn’t he a Dem then?

I’ve dealt with $2 and $1 coins. Absolutely fucking pointless to have both at the same time and I fail to see the added utility of a $1 coin. Inflation will make $1 transfers a thing of the past before long so why not keep the virtually weightless currency we have now that is easier to transport etc etc etc. If you want to make the use of our currency better allow for different colors of banknotes but adding substantially more mass doesn’t help anything.

BTW: I’ve heard the canards before so I don’t need to hear them again. Let me ask you what is easier here if we have dollar coins. You keep all your coins and notes separate (I think we all agree this is a fairly common practice). You need to pay $6, do you want to go to one vessel (your wallet) or two (wallet and coin purse, pocket, etc) to complete the transaction? Plus coins are a bitch.

OK one final point to my rant…notes came about because of a wartime shortage of metal. Makes sense right? Why not move everything (or most everything) digital if we are truly serious about ease of use? Privacy can be protected don’t worry about that. Bellamy may have been on to something though.

Damn I feel like JMP. Again. IRE.

• Jen B. says:

Plus coins are a bitch.

This is what it really comes down to. Why don’t you just pay with plastic and the rest of us can save a half billion a year.

• Ed says:

I do pay with plastic more often than not. I’m just saying a $1 coin is dumb and short sighted.

Again, same verse as the first. Again. With another pointless statement tacked on at the end in a weak attempt to produce a strong point that instead just sounds pretentious and overwrought.

IRE.

• Steve Golden says:

Sadly, and oddly, I actually agree with Ed. Also, this should be titled “Dolla Dolla Bill, Y’all.” It’s more hip-hop accurate.

• Trevor Southerland says:

Well, can’t let an opportunity to disagree with both Steve and Ed at the same time pass… I find coins far easier to use, and would like to have a $2 and $1 coin. Do away with $1 bills.

Also, make our money pretty and different sizes so it looks more like real money.

🙂

• Jen B. says:

“I’m just saying a $1 coin is dumb and short sighted.”

How is it short sighted? Because we’re going to run out of metal and not trees?

• Ed says:

If you deleted my JMP-inspired post extravaganza I’m not going to answer you. Ever.

IRE

• Mel says:

It was me. Stop spamming Jen.

• Jen B. says:

You know what’s funny? I was like, “Hm. I didn’t delete anything.” But then I came here and saw a gazillion posts so I assumed nothing had been deleted and this was a preemptive strike.

• Ed says:

Cool. Really it comes down to the fact we won’t be using $1 denominations as much anymore and the notes work just fine people are stupid.

• Ed says:

Also many of our metals are in dangerous supply and the process for replenishing them is much slower than that of trees. Thankfully though the material for notes is coming from synthetic and non-tree sources

• Sara says:

I used $1, $2 and $5 coins while in Vancouver last year and they were annoying as hell. I came home with a ton of them, then got robbed blind by BoA when I went to exchange them.

9. JerryT says:

Another thing we are behind a lot of the rest of the world on.
    How is it that we, as a country, are so liberal and so conservative (in the bigger sense than merely political) at the same time?