I got a press release from the Hodges folks claiming that Fox 5 wants Teilhet to take down his ad. Apparently one cannot use footage from a news broadcast in a political ad.

I don’t know anything much about this so I’m putting the release below the fold.

Rob Teilhet, candidate for Georgia Attorney General has found himself in hot water with WAGA-TV Fox 5 Atlanta. Rob Teilhet improperly used a clip from Fox 5 in his first television commercial which started airing on July 5.

News broadcasters made it clear on the July 7 evening news that the Teilhet campaign did not get permission from the station or from the anchors to use their likeness in the ad. The station went on to explain it does not endorse Rob Teilhet.

After improperly using television news footage, WAGA has demanded the footage no longer be used.

“It’s ironic that in an ad trying to convince voters he is ready to be Georgia’s chief law enforcement officer, Rob Teilhet has once again demonstrated that he is not qualified for the job. Our next Attorney General cannot play fast and loose with the law. If he can’t properly produce a campaign ad about fighting crime, how can we trust him with the important job of protecting our children and keeping our communities safe,” said Shannon Marietta, Campaign Manager.

23 Responses to Fox 5 Takes Issue with Teilhet

1. Ed says:

No love for my funny comment of “I don’t know anything” with the strikethrough.

2. Chris says:

My guess is the Hodges campaign will soon wish that Teilhet would have stuck with his Fox 5 ad after they see his new ad. Teilhet will probably be only too happy to comply with their request that he switch his ads.

3. Kimberly says:

@Melb… they bought the time, they didn’t produce. There’s a difference.

4. griftdrift says:

Now that one will matter. YIKES.

5. Kimberly says:

And then there is his ad with Emily Walker, whose son was shot by police in 2003. She is featured in a 30-second television commercial for state Rep. Rob Teilhet, who is running in the July 20 Democratic primary against former Dougherty County district attorney Ken Hodges.

Read more & see the video here

LUC media, hah.. checkout the disclosures… they will not be in them.

6. Stefan says:

NOTE: I edited the post to block quote the release.

7. griftdrift says:

I’ll take “Things That Only Insiders Give A Damn About” for a $1000, Alex.

8. GeorgiaHack says:

This happens all the time in political ads (though, IIRC mostly by republican campaigns). In 2002, Perdue used footage from a debate on GPB where Barnes said that “children die every day” in state care. (IMO, one of the best political attack ads ever) GPB told them to stop and Barnes followed with a lawsuit, but the damage was already done. It drives me absolutely nuts that the media firms don’t know the rules, and that the campaigns don’t either. Besides having lawyers all over these campaigns, it is just common sense that you cannot use stuff like that.

• Melb says:

So LUC Media (Barnes old/new media producer and Teilhet’s media as well) should be well aware of the laws then, right?

• Stefan says:

You think LUC Media created the ad?

• Sara says:

1st of all, this form autofilled for me as parker404 which is pretty freaky. But anyway…

Hopefully the media company would know the laws. But I believe news stations can conset to allow the use of their footage, so in all likelhood it’s less of a legal issue really and more that nobody bothered to make sure they had approval.

9. Concerned says:

Here’s MY issue here. Teilhet should not have used the footage, if the above claim is in fact true. However:

1) Can I get a statement from WAGA first? I mean I trust campaigns, but I have yet to see anything from the station.
    2) Marietta’s statement is ironic, given Hodges’ issues with the law. What about the Phoebe Putnam case, and the other instances of badly prosecuting cases. Also, I like the leap that she made, in that because he may not have used something without permission, Rob Teilhet will be unable to stop rapists and child molesters. Two completely different issues.
    3) In re endorsements: This is seriously beginning to get to me. There are a few things that could have happened with the Sheriff. One, Hodges’ people are so dense as to think that he actually endorsed him, which is a problem. Two, Hodges keeps touting how he is such a good manager having been a prosecutor, however if this was in fact an “error,” then his management skills lapsed in ensuring that the release never saw the light of day. It’s not just a “mistake, plain and simple.” They misrepresented the view of an individual, and continued to tout the endorsement of Andy Young, despite statements BEFORE this was published saying that he was not endorsing Ken Hodges.

• Sara says:

It sounds like Fox 5 made a statement in last night’s news broadcast about the use of the footage, so that is probably sufficient under #1. This is a staff-level fuckup, since presumably Teilhet is using a media agency and not scripting or producing his own ads. (He might hopefully review and approve them, however, it’s not clear Teilhet was aware nobody bothered to get the station’s approval to use the footage if he did review and approve.)

10. Melb says:

Teilhet is an attorney.

11. parker404 says:

I’m a Teilhet supporter, but it sounds like Fox 5 is right about this one. Makes you wonder about the quality of Teilhet’s advisors and attorneys.

• Stefan says:

Yeah, but it’s not like the ad was produced in house. There are people who are supposed to be responsible for clearing the rights to ads and the like.

Down ballot primary campaigns tend not to have many staff members. I would totally sue whoever was responsible for clearing the rights, but that’s just me. I am a bit litigious.