For those who love them some polls, here’s the latest from Rasmussen.

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Democratic Primary voters in Georgia finds Barnes earning 59% of the vote. His nearest competitor, state Attorney General Thurbert Baker, trails with 16% support.

This is the widest margin between the two candidates yet, but Barnes has far outdistanced Baker from the start. In August of last year, he led Baker by 33 points in a hypothetical primary matchup.

Two other primary hopefuls, former Georgia Secretary of State David Poythress and House Minority Leader Dubose Porter, each earn five percent (5%) of the vote.  Three percent (3%) prefer some other candidate, while 12% are undecided.

And on the Republican side, this poll has Handel and Deal tied for the lead.

Tagged with:

32 Responses to New poll has Roy at 59%

1. Sara says:

I am victorious! Ox finishing in 4th, probably. We will have to schedule consecutive trips to Manuel’s for all of you to pay me off in liquor!

Done. What says the Eds about that standing Barnes <59-60% offer? JMP

• EGaluszka says:

There are way too many candidates for Barnes to break 59. I still think that DuBose is polling lower than he’s going to actually pull in, and we’re going to head in to a joke of a runoff.

3. Sara, I’ll say Ox squeaks in. What’s the wager?

4. Sara says:

Y’all still think I’m crazy for predicting Ox misses the runoff? :)

• Jen B. says:

Ha! Did anyone take that bet?

• Mel says:

Impressive. You’ll have to tell me how you knew.

• Sara says:

It’s really just a hunch that I’ve formulated over the last couple weeks. I think Oxendine makes a bad presentation when you see him on your TV screen, which really only started happening since the holiday via commercials and debates. He comes across as weird and douche-y (for lack of a better term) and I figured that would at some point counteract his name recognition advantage as voters started to tune in and got to know him and the other candidates.

Also, I talked to my dad last weekend about who he was voting for (being a staunch Republican) and he hadn’t decided, but he already knew he didn’t like the Ox. Although he couldn’t say why. That was probably what really planted the seed that Ox would fade as his visibility (and that of the other candidates) increased.

Yep, my point exactly!

Ed, I’ll take that bet If we can make it just the simpler proposition that Roy gets Under 59%. How about it? JMP

7. Donna says:

Who believes Rasmussen anyways? They are a conservative polling outfit. My god, I hope we do have a Democratic runoff. I want someone else besides Roy Barnes.

• EGaluszka says:

If Roy Barnes is pulling in 59% in any poll, to believe he wouldn’t trounce his opponents in a run-off is naive. Everyone knows who Roy is and what he stands for. There isn’t going to be a sudden scandal or revelation that sinks his candidacy. If it goes to a run-off, it will be by a hair’s margin, and at least some of the other candidate’s votes are going to go to Governor Barnes.

As for Rasmussen being a conservative polling outfit, that is true. But their bias doesn’t typically extend to actual elections. They keep their polling on primaries and elections as accurate as they can, with the bias showing up in policy questions that cannot really be verified with results.

8. Mel says:

Well, he seems to have gotten more than 59% of the money, so why not 59% of the votes.

9. Melb says:

I don’t think Roy is going to get 59%, I think he will get 43%.