If you live in Atlanta or the surrounding metro area and are interested in local politics and history, you really must read Where Peachtree Meets Sweet Auburn, by Gary M Pomerantz.

Even though it’s been out for over a decade it’s a timeless account of the rich history of post-Civil War Atlanta.  Mr Pomerantz has gathered the details from personal interviews, newspapers, and a myriad of other sources to tell the stories of the Allen and Dobbs families and how their devotion to Atlanta built this city.

If you’re like me, you’ll come away wishing that you’d been around during the heyday of John Wesley Dobbs and the  “Ivan Allens” (Sr, Jr, & III).  Oh to have been on hand when John Wesley Dobb’s sixth daughter graduated from Spelman.  I bet the echoes of Maynard Jackson Jr are still heard in City Hall today.

The struggles of both black and white Atlanta during difficult and boom times are brought to life by Mr Pomerantz.  Don’t be alarmed by the length of the book.  The first 1/3 goes a little slow, but after that you won’t be able to put it down.  Sadly, it is not available for iPad or Kindle.  There is already a queue, but if you want to borrow it from me, I’ll add you to the list.

11 Responses to If you haven’t, you should.

1. Juliana says:

Re: book binding, which in many cases Jen, is in China.

• Jen B. says:

Good point. Since receiving my Kindle in late December, I’ve bought more books in the past seven months than in the last few years. If anything, Kindle is helping the publishing world. But, I still want to have a massive library in my house one day. Maybe I’ll buy up a bunch of books from the Goodwill and stuff my library with trash romance novels because that’s probably all they have.

• Juliana says:

Take your previously read books to Book Nook in Marietta (near Williamson BBQ on 120 Roswell Rd) and they will give you credit to shop in their very large and well stocked store. They have movies, music and a pretty good selection of books.

• Catherine says:

Jen – I’ll give you some books for your library – just remind me next time you’re at our place.

2. Ed says:

“Sadly, it is not available for iPad or Kindle. ”

Who gives a &&&&. Purchase a hard copy, support an industry so you can continue to enjoy reading good stuff.

I’ve been trying to read this book for years, but I think I’m still in the first third so that may be the issue.