He’s pissed off a gay dad, YouthPride board member and someone who has the where-with-all to wage a Google war on Deal.
I’m really glad to see someone taking on Deal over this disgusting comments about YouthPride. Deal’s homophobia targeted at youth should alarm all of us. In his abject ignorance, perhaps he didn’t know that:
It is estimated that between 20 and 40 percent of all homeless youth identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender (2006 National Gay & Lesbian Task Force: An Epidemic of Homelessness). 62% of homeless LGB youth will attempt suicide at least once—more than two times as many as their heterosexual peers (Van Leeuwen JMm et al – Child Welfare 2005)
- Gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth were more than three times as likely to have attempted suicide in the past 12 months.
- Questioning youth who are less certain of their sexual orientation report even higher levels of substance abuse and depressed thoughts than their heterosexual or openly LGBT-identified peers (Poteat VP, Aragon SR, et al – Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 2009)
YouthPride’s staff, board and volunteers work every day to help and support LBGTQQ youth in our state. Georgia is fortunate to have such an organization, and for Deal to bash them makes my blood boil.
Nathan Deal isn’t just some random hater, he’s running for Governor and would shape policies that would directly impact the important work of YouthPride.
Bring it on Seth Woodard Persily!
Project Q has all the details, and I’m loving this.
Nathan Deal made gay Georgians and a group for LGBT youth a target during his successful primary campaign. Now a gay father and attorney is returning the favor.
Seth Woodard Persily, a father of two with partner Nathan, turned his sights on the former Congressman and current GOP nominee for governor after Deal’s anti-gay attacks during the summer campaign. His goal? Sabotage Deal’s reputation so that every time Google sees the words “Nathan Deal,” the search engine offers up “ethics.”
The effort has caught the attention of both the Deal campaign and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, which profiled Persily’s efforts on Wednesday.
- Brian on Hey, look here we’ve already had the Alice in Wonderland post once! Now on to Oz!
- JMPrince on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Peaches on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Gerald on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Jilly on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Juliana on TGIF Open Thread
- Bob Peckerwood on TGIF Open Thread
- JMPrince on Sweet Baby Jesus on a breadstick, what an ass
- Hey, look here we’ve already had the Alice in Wonderland post once! Now on to Oz!
- Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- TGIF Open Thread
- Happy Pride Month!
- Sweet Baby Jesus on a breadstick, what an ass
- Tuesday Roundup
- Chair to Resign Post at Democratic Party of Georgia. Complete with Details.
- Dear John, oops I mean Mike
- “Details” Watch: Day 4 (Can I Get a Witness?)
- “Details” Watch: Day 3 (It’s the By-Laws, Stupid!)
- “Details” Watch: Day 2 Fact Checker
- “Details” Watch: Day 1
- Snark Wednesday-Open Thread
- Memorial Day
- It’s your party.
- Monday Open Thread
- Greetings from Michigan!
- Link Mania otherwise known as Snark Wednesday