ICYMI: Alan Powell switched parties and apparently, Bob Hanner did too. His Facebook page now lists him as a Republican.

We had a good run in this state. 150 years of power isn’t too bad.

Edit: So I decided to play journalist and put a call into Hanner’s office. His secretary couldn’t confirm so she transferred me to the Speaker’s office. The receptionist there confirmed Hanner’s defection and said Gerald Greene had switched too.

Considering their seniority this hurts us more than usual. ****

Edit 2: Just called Tommie Williams’ office. His secretary said she hadn’t heard of any party switchers but would have a staffer call me back. I can’t wait.

31 Responses to Defections

1. Branden Lane says:

I hate to see Hanner and Greene leave. Yeah, they may not be the most “progressive” on their votes, but the Dem Party of GA needs as much diversity as possible to get things done and also to help elect people throughout the state. Clearly, the Democratic base did not turn out for the recent elections, but we also need those cross over voters that can be easier to get with some conservative dems. I live in Green’s district. It should be interesting to see what happens. Hope all of you are well.

2. Stefan says:

Hanner leaving is excellent. I mean that. Addition by subtraction.

3. Sara says:

I’m not saying DPG should have been able to stop this. With a party in free-fall and the appearance of keystone cops running the show, of course there’s little reason for these guys not to switch. I want a state party that starts building the structure and the plan that gives them a reason not to switch, or a reason to come back.

I am also sick of people saying I’m not allowed to be frustrated and sad that our state party doesn’t even appear to be trying to right the ship. Just because trying harder or not conceding the tough races might not have made a difference this cycle doesn’t mean nobody should wish we had put forth the effort rather than deciding not to bother. Laying the groundwork now, for election cycles to come is how parties rebuild, even if that means losing a lot of races for awhile.

• Keith says:

“Laying the groundwork now, for election cycles to come is how parties rebuild, even if that means losing a lot of races for awhile.”

Agreed.

4. Tim Cairl says:

I expect Ellis Black and Amy Carter to switch, they were impossible to hold on key votes,

• Steve Golden says:

Amy Carter is staying put. I’m putting this rumor down now. Dustin Baker has spoken with her twice in so many days, and she will be voting for Stacey Abrams tomorrow, and then plans to stay where she is.

• Tim Cairl says:

quite shocking honestly. even though she’s in a high-performance district for the Dems, she’s not great on a lot of issues.

• Gunner says:

That is awesome to hear!

• Keith says:

I’m surprised. Word on the street here is that she will likely switch. But as of right now, it is strictly rumor.

Golden, I’ve heard, will just stop running before he switches. He lost support after he endorsed Cagle, but he isn’t going to have a problem holding the seat as long as he keeps running as a Democrat.

The same can probably said about Ellis Black. I think he’ll just stop running before he switches his party.

Carter has a lot of support here from both sides and she’ll be hard to beat unless she is beaten by a more progressive Democrat in a primary. The problem with a Democrat stepping up and trying to take her seat is that the seat would be as good as lost the next time it was up.

We’ll take what we can get. As far as I am concerned (as well as some of her left leaning supporters here), she is a Democrat in name only, but it is better than a Republican.

• Steve Golden says:

Carter is staying put. Most recent contact was today, and my source who spoke with her said that she’s not moving, no matter what NBC-Valdosta says.

• Keith says:

I’m not sure where NBC picked the story up at. I’ve heard the rumor (and stated every time I’ve mentioned it that it was rumor) from people that are fairly close to her and run in the same circles hear locally. But whether they are speculating or have heard otherwise is not for me to say.

As you know, she has gone on the record to say she is staying put. But I wouldn’t count out the possibility of her qualifying as a Republican in 2012. But we can cross that bridge when we get there. For now we have to prepare for the possibility of putting someone up against Ellis Black.

5. Gunner says:

My crystal ball tells me to look towards southwest (Valdosta) GA for more defections.

6. Ed says:

I’m not saying “we had it first” but this article came out nearly an hour after this post

Actually, fuck it I am. You heard it here first, folks!

7. Sara says:

Ugh, DPG needs to get it together and fast.

• Jules says:

Sara, you are hoping for the impossible. The best they can do at this point is stay out of way. This is solely at caucus function. Besides after tomorrows election for the minority/dem leadership the dust will settle until folks start to announce whose running in Jan 2010 for DPG leadership.

Nothing will happen, please don’t expect it to. I’ll be taking myself off political grid after Cobb Elections next week. Not sure when I will return.

• Chris says:

I defended the DPG when I worked there and even though it’s a different crowd now I will continue to defend them in this regard. What could they possibly do here? These legislators like Mike Jacobs, Powell, Hanner, Greene etc are arrogant egomaniacs who only care about their own power. They perceive, rightly or wrongly, that switching parties is the best way to keep that personal power. What can or should the DPG do in a situation like this?

Keep in mind also that the DPG is affected basically not at all by whether the House Caucus remains at its current size or goes down 2 or 3 seats, unless that number is 120, 90 or 60. Neither is close.

8. Drew says:

I wonder how much if this has to do with the specter of redistricting: there will be fewer seats in south Georgia in 2012 than there were in 2002, and with Republicans in charge, the Democrats will be more likely to be left standing when the music stops.

9. Matt says:

Hanner’s website lists him as a Republican. And his switch is very much like Mike Jacobs’, solely for power. His district looks like it may lean Democratic.