I want to take a minute to give some personal kudos to the President of the Walker County Young Democrats, Chad Henderson, and a couple of his friends for bringing the bullying issue into the spotlight in my hometown.

Chad and some friends are tackling head on some incidents of bullying that have been happening at Ridgeland High School in Rossville, Georgia.  Let me tell you this, I went to Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School, which is just down the road from Ridgeland so I know how things work up there, and these are some brave individuals to be willing to speak out and speak up for their fellow classmates.

Bullying happens everywhere, but in some parts of our state it’s an accepted part of everyday life…  for these young people to put their necks on the line shows so much about their character and makes me proud to know them.  Well done!

9 Responses to Bullying in North Georgia

The first thing we need to do is identify bullies, & those that ‘tacitly’ support bullies, and break that chain of accenting to things in secret you’d never imagine someone might do in the light of day. Me? I call out Newt for being a miserable bully. Again.

2. Ed says:

here’s my thing.I had more to say but can’t remember it. Looking at the last 30 years (or more) of well…any policies to “help children” and they’ve all pretty much failed abysmally. Nothing is going to stop bullying, period. I doubt the true efficacy of anything we’re doing (NOT THAT I’M SAYING WE SHOULD STOP, quite the opposite in fact) and I have a feeling we’ll end up with a situation like this where dudes are finally going to do something that will actually stop bullying and face assault charges while the bully gets nothing.

Yet another reminder from Think Progress.org that the issue seems to be inexplicably tied in with the battle against the Gay:

Which of course would be stale news to WV miner Sam Hall here:
    thinkprogress.org/2011/03/14/wv-discrimination/

And EG, I think there are estimates that said that perhaps about 50% of the guns being found & brought to schools were claimed to be due to the fear of constant bullying.

I think some kids are not cut out for the ‘factory farm’ method of teaching & should be removed from that context and placed in alternative schools. Often it’s a very small segment of the student population causing most of the troubles. And no, they’re not always the stereotypical ‘poor’ and/or ‘troubled kids’, but some of suburbia’s ‘best & brightest too’. Making the parents more responsible for their kids behavior and having more consequences from same might go a long way to try & address the issue more successfully. But as always there’s a breakdown in the chain of responsibility at several points. Often it’s a struggle to even get the school to recognize what’s going on, but only typically after some tragedy has happened. The parents are always another story too. Sad to say.

4. EGaluszka says:

Bullying would happen less if guns were allowed in schools. Just saying.

• tiffany says:

actually it wouldn’t because then you would have more
      dead people than bullyed , also none of this would have
      happened if stupid people like yourself would keep they’re
      opinion to their self . : )

5. The Edinator says:

Eh, I don’t know TBH. I was bullied pretty hardcore for a while, like really vile shit and I say that on reflection, not like because it happened to me.

I also know/feel we do coddle kids way too much now. I guess I’m not pro-bullying but don’t know what can effectively or realistically be done.

• Steve Golden says:

“Coddle” is very different from preventing bullying. I don’t know if you know what it does to someone straight’s psyche to be constantly teased for being “gay,” a “faggot,” a “homo,” and the like. I can’t imagine what it would be like with a person struggling with their sexuality, especially in a place as harsh, conservative, and unforgiving as Walker County.

No, we shouldn’t “coddle” people, but we shouldn’t let something that unequivocally leads to teen suicides and depression (not to mention a life of living hell) go unnoticed.

• SFultonDiva says:

I think we need to broaden our perspective of bullying. It’s not just reserved for those kids who are struggling with their sexuality.

Many students are teased/bullied for many more reasons other than sexuality. These issues too drive kids into depression and suicide, its justthat the sexuality issue makes the headlines.

When the news woman said a bill had been dropped in the House and Senate was she speaking of the GA House, or the US House?

I wish this folks would clarify….

Thank you to all who do not remain silent when they see bullying. The long term effects of bullying are serious and significant.

I hope that the school admin keeps it’s word, and that they will be held accountable.

Thank you Chad. Please keep us posted.