Last night at the downtown Atlanta club, Opera, we saw the kickoff of gen44.  It was a lively event featuring David Plouffe, the mastermind behind President Obama’s 2008 campaign.  Mr Plouffe was energized and and excited to be in Atlanta for the opening of the 2012 fundraising efforts for President Obama’s reelection campaign.  gen44 is the fundraising arm of the reelction effort that focuses on under 40 voters and activists.  (Thankfully, they let us over-40 folks in!)

In his introduction of Mr Plouffe, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed revved up the crowd and noted something we should all remember (I paraphrase) – Let’s not compare President Obama to the almighty, but to the alternative.  I intend to use this line regularly from now on!  You should too.

All in all, it was a great event.  Many thanks to the host committee for gathering a vibrant group.  I have just a couple of recommendations to assure happy guests for future events:

• VIP guests should be treated as VIPs, not left waiting outside on a chilly rainy evening after doors are open.
  • Press should be required to show press credentials – just as guests were required to show ID.
  • Paid guests should be allowed in before or at the same time as those who have not yet paid.
  • Organizers should be polite and respectful of donors (I’m talking to you, Ms-Black-Dress-National-Finance-Director for Gen44).

As Mayor Reed said:  We’re all in!  On to victory in 2012!

20 Responses to We’re all in!

1. Trevor Southerland says:

Glad to hear the event went well overall, hopefully some suggestions will be taken into account.

I wasn’t able to make it to that one, but went to the House Caucus event that was earlier in the day and it was very well attended too.

2. Julianal says:

I too attended this event, and didn’t have much to add to
    Catherine’s post, since it more than adequately covered the spirit of the event.

I will however contribute a couple observations:

I thought the Mayor was fantastic, but then again he usually is.

David P is a competent speaker, and coveys a message cleanly and directly-which as most of us know, in politics, is a bit of a rarity.

Catherine’s comments on getting into the event are, meant constructively-lump it if you didn’t think so.

Regular readers will know that we often point out how events could be better, and offer solutions to do just that. I’ve complained mightily that they way people barge into a political event isn’t generally behavior you’d see at just about any other event.

Basic things like a smile at the entry, a streamline checkin that didn’t have various “code-words” to know when you would be let in and a several folks would have done well to lose the attitude, it’s David Plouffe, not David Bowie.

3. CatherineAtlanta says:

So, I write a post praising an event but also including some suggestions for improving future events and I am a sniping lousy writer. Whatever.

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier-I was at a meeting strategizing how to improve Democratic voter turnout for 2012-2016 in Fulton County.

Thankfully, I am home now so I can spend the rest of the night composing a nasty anti-Democrat post.

• Trevor Southerland says:

Is your real last name “Atlanta” or are you trying to hide something, “Catherine”?

As one of my favorite TV characters of all time once said, “Some people… just can’t handle it… and some people can.” 🙂

Also, looking forward to improving voter turnout in “Fulton” county… if that’s even it’s real name.

• JMPrince says:

Good & thanks! I figured if they wanted to improve future events the DPG might get a cut of the action, and we could use half of the copious/superfluous volunteers doing useful things. Like registering voters? But hey, I’m a malcontent too. Really nice looking crowd though! JMP

4. Oliver says:

Perfect example above. While pointed comments were made by myself, I did not resort to name calling.

I assure you that on my worst day, I would operate with more class and respect than you could muster in a lifetime.

• admin says:

Easy to say, harder to demonstrate. Here’s a name for you: troll.

• Mel says:

And we’re arrogant. Funny.

• sndeak says:

Each blog has its own personality. BfD is not the place to come if you are sensative and have a hard time with criticism. I’ve taken a few pokes here for saying dumb shit over the years but wouldn’t trade it for anything.

BTW…There is no reason to ” ” Mel. It really is Mel, really.

• EGaluszka says:

Maybe according to this “sndeak” person, if that is your real fake internet name.

• Mel says:

It’s funny, but after 14 years of blogging under “Mel”, the only people who seem to put it in quotes are young males. Not sure why, but that’s been my experience. This is generally followed by a comment including my full name as if it’s some big secret. It’s tedious.

5. Oliver says:

Is there one person that writes for this blog that can refrain from sniping at other democrats? If you’re not bitching about this, it’s “Mel” making snide comments about the age of applicants for a position with the state party. Or it’s cheap shots at the previous DPG administration.

So much arrogance for such a poorly written blog.

• EGaluszka says:

You can’t expect every blog to be talkingpointsmemo, brozekiel. No blog writer has any standards to uphold except their own and the editor of the site. If you don’t like the content, don’t read it. Obviously people enjoy the content, otherwise they wouldn’t keep coming back.

• Mel says:

Where’s your work product “Oliver”? Let’s see what you can do on a good day little man.

Let’s not compare President Obama to the almighty, but to the alternative.
    I like it.

7. Gunner says:

Jim Galloway had a great quote from last night by Mayor Reed, “”They can’t deal with the fact that he saved the automobile industry. They can’t deal with the fact that he got health care for 26 million Americans, and you know they can’t deal with the fact that he got Osama bin Laden.”

Sounds like it was a great event!