Many people have been asking me which one of the Republican candidates has my endorsement in the GOP Primary, so I felt as if I should take this opportunity to give it.

I am offering my endorsement to none other than Rick Santorum, former Senator from Pennsylvania.

You might be asking me why Santorum, over others like Romney, Huntsman, or Buddy Roemer?

I mean look at his history!

But let’s be clear about one thing.  There’s no way in hell that Santorum will win the nomination.  Perry, Bachmann, Gingrich, and Cain all saw their leads eradicated for much less (dumb, crazy, Newt Gingrich, dalliances), but Santorum just didn’t have the time to be attacked.  Look at the articles I linked above.  Most of them are from today, or maybe yesterday.  Santorum is getting squashed by the media, and by that I mean they’ve dug up things he’s said before.

But God, I so wish he would win the nomination.  It’d make my job much easier.

12 Responses to A Democrat Endorses a Republican

Yeah, no. There’s a certain under-acknowledged idiot’s utopian fantasy behind the whole Libertarian ‘ideal’. NoahOpinion picks up the thought here:

2. atlmom says:

it would be great for santorum to win the nom. Then the GOP would be totally irrelevant, immediately. then MAYBE the libertarian candidate would have a shot.

3. Jakey says:

Endorsing a Republican is a violation of State Committee Rules :) FYI

The goat vote doesn’t seem to agree with you Steve.

“Bill Higgins and Judy Hammond are roommates in Dover, N.H., who have a pet goat, Izak, that they take to campaign events to meet presidential hopefuls who pass through their area. Higgins said Newt Gingrich and Jon Huntsman reacted favorably to the goat, although it did nibble on Huntsman’s coat. “

More data & facts from the archives here. Lest we forget Santorum’s role in the infamously corrupt GOP ‘K Street project’ during the last Bush administration:

And more on Romney’s ‘win’ in Iowa, pretty weak tea by historical standards:

I’d also add the lovely link to ‘Cain Connections’, but only for local color. JMP

Yep, but worse than Paul in that regard too. But the rhetoric is what he’s always been strongest at. And of course the hate stuff is incredibly popular here & elsewhere. As Z notes for TP from the MDJ, Ga. State Rep. Judy Manning is just scared of Mormonism, (Islam too, but only more so, naturally):

That’s a very common sentiment for their coalition, and for the larger population. JMP

7. Peaches says:

As crazy as he is, there’s one point of his message that resonates. Just one. He’s for tax incentives (as in zero tax), for manufacturing. I don’t agree with the solution, but his goal of bringing manufacturing back to the US is one I can get behind.

Democrats talk a lot about diversity, usually in the context of ethnicity. There’s also a wide diversity of human intellect, aptitude and talent. My father worked his way through college as a journeyman electrician. Even after earning a degree, he chose to build houses for a living. He wanted to do the same work his father and grandfather had done. He wanted to work with his hands. My maternal grandfather was a mill worker, my uncles were welders, plant workers and ship builders.

• ire says:

“Democrats talk a lot about diversity, usually in the context of ethnicity. ”

While this is not really your point, I’ve had a post kicking in my head for a long time about how this is an incredibly bad concept of diversity, and it isn’t something just Democrats do.

• Jen B. says:

“There’s a huge segment of our population that is unemployed or under employed. Many of these people, like my family, are well suited to the skilled trades. Yet, there are fewer and fewer jobs available to them. Instead, we push these kids relentlessly into the college pipeline, only to have nothing to offer them on the other end.

Bringing manufacturing back to Georgia should be a goal of every elected official in our party. Santorum may be crazy, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.”

This is absolutely correct.

And it seems he actually did win the Iowa caucus:

Breaking via TPM: IA Caucus Voter Counter Said Romney Got 20 Extra Votes:

And of course for those mathematically inclined, why no recount? Because this:
    “There’s a 25% chance Santorum won Iowa” via Felix Salmon &
    Nick Rizzo, yesterday.

But I never choose someone’s own poison for them. Just note that he’s one of the few politicians of note to disagree with ‘Griswold v. Connecticut, (1965)’ and come out full squarely against Contraception as a right for Married Couples. Really. JMP

• JMPrince says:

News of this morning is that ‘Slick’ Rick did indeed win the Iowa caucus, so natch, they’re now going to officially declare it a ‘tie’. SSDD, but pretty damn predictable, and sadly under reported. JMP