The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation announced today that it will stop supporting lifesaving breast cancer screenings for low-income and underserved women at Planned Parenthood health centers. The news that Komen had caved to pressure from Radical Republicans circulated around the web and inboxes today.

What got less coverage was the role former Georgia SOS and failed Gubernatorial candidate Karen Handel played in this action. In this fox/hen house situation, Handel, who was named Senior VP for Komen in April 2011, is being credited with this deadly change in policy.

As Gubernatorial Candidate in 2010, Handel Pledged to Eliminate Grants for Planned Parenthood to Provide Breast and Cervical Cancer Screenings. “During my time as Chairman of Fulton County, there were federal and state pass-through grants that were awarded to Planned Parenthood for breast and cervical cancer screening, as well as a ‘Healthy Babies Initiative’…Since grants like these are from the state I’ll eliminate them as your next Governor.”

As Senior VP at Komen, Handel has accomplished what she couldn’t as a Georgia Republican anti-abortion activist. In the process, she has endangered thousands of women, and tarnished the good name of a leading foundation devoted to women’s health.

Tagged with:

17 Responses to Karen Handel co-opts Susan G Komen Foundation to suit her personal political agenda

Some useful backgrounder updates here: Via Southern Exposure:

And here via the suggestion of G&T’s Ed:

The ‘Big Orange Satan’ (not UT but Kos) has some very lovely links & stuff up too. But as more than one person noted, this has been a very long time coming. The opprobrium has been richly deserved, they’ve been pretty miserable all along! JMP

2. CatherineAtlanta says:

If it makes you feel any better, Jen, I dumped ACLU a while back. Wasn’t happy with some of their staffing decisions.

3. CatherineAtlanta says:

Jen, I set up a low monthly contribution so I wouldn’t forget.

• Jen B. says:

That’s a great idea. I think I did that a few years back for the ACLU.

Damn. My liberal slip is showing. No one look.

Also, note to self: Donate more to Planned Parenthood this year.

All but obliterating the public purpose of your charity with such a bone headed clearly ideological stunt? She’ll likely get a raise and a promotion. Watch for it. It’s their way of ‘reintroducing’ the brand here. ‘Livelier & more controversial’ now with ‘hippie punching’ power and a Romneynite vivid distain & open contempt for poor women. She’ll be looking to get back into politics soon afterwards too. Count on it. JMP

6. Old Mayfly says:

A non-profit should not pay a VP $300K, that is too much. I prefer to donate to charities that keep their overhead low.

7. ire says:

I wonder if kh is looking for a new job….about the only damage control out there is letting her go

• Jules says:

Nah, they picked her because she is conservative, as is their founder. She got a great 300,000+ year salary and everyone is tickled pink with her. Yes, I typed that on purpose.

8. Mary says:

Thank you Karen Handel! Now let’s defund Planned Parenthood

Related. Here’s a link to the trailer for the Pink Ribbons, Inc. documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QPZfcYTUaA

• ire says:

I’ve been talking about that for nearly two years now. And once again its something people get mad at me for saying eventhough I’m right.

10. Elissa says:

I have now bought my last pink ribbon to support Komen. All further donations will be given to Planned Parenthood. What a horrible decision they let her make

Best slap down you could make to Komen and Handel would be a donation to either Planned Parenthood Southeast ( keep you $$ in the South) or to the Georgia group Lesbian Health Initiative, since Handel was also a notorious homophobe.

I think they dropped Lesbian in their name recently since they serve a broad range of folks in the community. Checkout their excellent work and support a local organization.

Nice catch P/M, what a snake in the grass she is! Directly going to do harm to 1000′s of women. Nice job there. Last donation I ever make to their single cause. JMP