If I was told for four decades that my particle didn’t exist, I’d make this face, too, after having all of my research validated. Peter Higgs, BTW.

Did you know that cancer doesn’t kill people?  I didn’t, but apparently Republican Congressional candidate Chris Collins does.

OH NO THE INTERNETS IS GOING TO COLLAPSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In scientific news, the God Particle (the Higgs boson) has likely been discovered.  A standing offer of a cookie is in effect for anyone that can explain what it is to this History major.

Ne-Yo just bought a house in Milton, Georgia.  Maybe he’ll vote for Jeff Kazanow on July 31?

Is there a requirement to bring a vial of blood and your first born, too?

7 Responses to July 5th Link Dump and Open Thread

Updates on that infamous thesis of ‘Deep South Oligarchy’ here:

July 05, 2012 9:12 AM
    “On the Rise of the (Deep) Southern Oligarchy”
    By Colin Woodard

Lots of links in there so you can follow this, yes, more than 35 yo central argument in history & governance. It sometimes starts with the magisterial “Albion’s Seed: Four British Folkways in America”
    by David Hackett Fischer

2. Master Blaster says:

Perhaps Barry Loudermilk, Chip Rogers and Charlice Byrd will drop a resolution that uses States Rights’ and Christian Nation rhetoric to call the Higgs boson discovery as “destructive and insidious.”

3. Master Blaster says:

Well, I’m very excited about the Higgs boson, and have followed the last few years of research closely. It goes far toward completing the Standard Model, goes far in explaining the origin of mass in elementary particles, and validates much of Einstein’s work.

Most Republicans are terrified of the Higgs boson (actually, any kind of boson), so make sure to work it into any political discussion you have with a conservative. Make sure to drop that the Higgs boson is also colloquially known as the “God particle.”

Pffwwth. Science! Who needs it? In other more pressing news, there’s ‘It’s far, far worse than you suspected’, part of an ongoing series:

Barry R. reminds us once again that the easiest & most profitable way to rob a bank is to own one. Part one of 3 @ the Big Pic:

And that infamous Red-State/forlorn Confederacy divide we spoke about earlier (&often)? Yeah it’s all baked in to the Medicaid debate:

5. ire says:

Who is Ne-Yo?

6. Katherine says:

Thanks Rep. Collins! Now I can stop taking Tamoxifen AND cancel my oncologist appointment later this month. Silly me and my doctors, using all that data driven science to keep me alive and healthy.

7. Thanks Rep. Collins!!! Now I can stop taking Tamoxifen AND cancel my oncologist appointment later this month. Silly me and my doctors, using all that data driven science to keep me alive and healthy.