If you think that the Mayor’s approval of Equal Marriage isn’t important, you’re not paying attention. After President Obama came out swinging for equality, opposition to same-sex marriage hit an all-time low.
Today, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed was welcoming Porsche and their new HQ here in Atlanta. If Atlanta wishes to remain an international draw for business and continue to remain a regional draw for LGBTs, it’s time for the mayor to embrace tens of thousands of his LGBT Atlanta citizens and support all Atlanta’s families.
For comparison, Atlanta is the 9th largest metropolitan area in the U.S. Take a look at other cities both in the U.S. and worldwide whose mayors openly support LGBT Marriage Equality. All these cities have vibrant LGBT communities like Atlanta and continue to draw international and regional business investment.
Not to add too many coals, but HRC also recently published it’s 2012 Municipal Equality Index where Atlanta was not near the top, behind such cities as Austin, San Diego and Seattle. Also worth mentioning, our Mayor is 0-2 for marching in the last two Atlanta Pride Parades.
Come on Mayor Reed, do the right thing here – follow our President’s lead, Congressman John Lewis’ lead, and support all of Atlanta’s communities. Want to join in? See the facebook conversation here or you can write directly to the Mayor here.
- Brian on Hey, look here we’ve already had the Alice in Wonderland post once! Now on to Oz!
- JMPrince on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Peaches on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Gerald on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Jilly on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Juliana on TGIF Open Thread
- Bob Peckerwood on TGIF Open Thread
- JMPrince on Sweet Baby Jesus on a breadstick, what an ass
- Hey, look here we’ve already had the Alice in Wonderland post once! Now on to Oz!
- Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- TGIF Open Thread
- Happy Pride Month!
- Sweet Baby Jesus on a breadstick, what an ass
- Tuesday Roundup
- Chair to Resign Post at Democratic Party of Georgia. Complete with Details.
- Dear John, oops I mean Mike
- “Details” Watch: Day 4 (Can I Get a Witness?)
- “Details” Watch: Day 3 (It’s the By-Laws, Stupid!)
- “Details” Watch: Day 2 Fact Checker
- “Details” Watch: Day 1
- Snark Wednesday-Open Thread
- Memorial Day
- It’s your party.
- Monday Open Thread
- Greetings from Michigan!
- Link Mania otherwise known as Snark Wednesday