Priorities are important. They say a lot about people, they say a lot about organizations.
On January 11, Georgia Congressman Phil Gingrey made statements that were picked up by tons of national media.
That same day, I received an e-mail from the Young Democrats of Georgia, “Gingrey Must Resign.” It linked to a petition calling for Congressman Gingrey to resign.
On January 13, I received another e-mail from the Young Democrats of Georgia, jumping onto an already scheduled OFA protest of Congressman Gingrey’s office. Originally a fiscal issues rally, it would obviously also take on the rape comments as well.
But YDG is a relatively small organization, no paid staff, so on and so forth — nowhere near the mailing list size of the Democratic Party of Georgia.
Did the DPG advertise the protest? No.
Did the DPG send out a scathing press release attacking Gingrey’s words? No.
Did the DPG do the simplest thing and send out a fundraising e-mail drawing attention to the comments? No.
Maybe they were too busy preparing for the start of the Georgia General Assembly?
No, just checked — not a single e-mail from the DPG about any legislation or the General Assembly. But what’s this? Oh, an e-mail from the Young Democrats of Georgia outlining several legislative priorities for the session.
It’s pathetic that an organization with no paid staff has managed to send out a detailed legislative update, two e-mails about Congressman Gingrey, start a petition calling for his resignation and actively participate in a protest while an organization with several paid staff is still sitting on their hands.
Priorities matter. I can tell what YDG’s priorities are, what are the DPG’s?
- Brian on Hey, look here we’ve already had the Alice in Wonderland post once! Now on to Oz!
- JMPrince on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Peaches on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Gerald on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Jilly on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Juliana on TGIF Open Thread
- Bob Peckerwood on TGIF Open Thread
- JMPrince on Sweet Baby Jesus on a breadstick, what an ass
- Hey, look here we’ve already had the Alice in Wonderland post once! Now on to Oz!
- Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- TGIF Open Thread
- Happy Pride Month!
- Sweet Baby Jesus on a breadstick, what an ass
- Tuesday Roundup
- Chair to Resign Post at Democratic Party of Georgia. Complete with Details.
- Dear John, oops I mean Mike
- “Details” Watch: Day 4 (Can I Get a Witness?)
- “Details” Watch: Day 3 (It’s the By-Laws, Stupid!)
- “Details” Watch: Day 2 Fact Checker
- “Details” Watch: Day 1
- Snark Wednesday-Open Thread
- Memorial Day
- It’s your party.
- Monday Open Thread
- Greetings from Michigan!
- Link Mania otherwise known as Snark Wednesday