I have no idea what this is or where it is from.

Jim Galloway is reporting that Saxby Chambliss will announce his retirement today.

Likely Republican candidates to replace him include Rep. Tom Price, Rep. Phil Gingrey, Rep. Tom Graves, Rep. Paul Broun, and Karen Handel.

Consider this an open thread to discuss good (and bad) Democratic candidates.

17 Responses to We Won’t Have Saxby to Kick Around Anymore

1. Jim S. says:

I’m hearing rumors that Steve Oppenheimer is considering a run. He ran a competitive statewide race against Chuck Eaton and already has the organization in place. He’s proven to be a top fundraiser – his family has very deep pockets and he has an amazing database of donors.

• Erik says:

DuBose Porter I could go with. He would be a respectable candidate, he would win the metro vote that Reed or any other Atlanta based candidate would win, and he would not get run out of town in the rural areas that Reed or any other Atlanta based candidate would get run out of town in.

But Steve Oppenheimer? He could not even manage to read a speech with any emotion. In October he still did not have his speech memorized and it was similar to listening to a commercial for dry eyes by Ben Stein. Unless he is willing to get some serious coaching and a professional campaign, no way.

2. Jim says:

DuBose Porter FTW…

If we can excite Atlanta and other urban areas and take away part of South Georgia, then we might win. Republicans must win South and North Georgia to even out their losses in the Metro areas.

3. griftdrift says:

Four words

Pray for Paul Broun

4. ire says:

MIKE THURMOND!

5. zmcfall says:

I read the story, got excited at the possibility, then the political reality set it: this state is conservative by nature (even when Democrats were in power), 2014 is an off-year election, and the state of the DPG is miserable. Therefore, I don’t really see Democrats winning this seat in 2014.

However, I do see this as an opportunity to begin rebuilding the Democratic Party of Georgia (and no we really haven’t started to do that yet). I envision a candidate who can attract new participation in the political process, someone who is “young” so that they can run again using the name recognition they’ve built from the 2014 campaign, and someone who can articulate Georgia Democratic values and policies (perhaps create a message for the DPG) that can attract moderates and former Democrats.

Whatever happens, I think the number one goal of Georgia Democrats should be to organize, organize, organize. We need to take lessons from both the 2008 and 2012 Obama campaigns.

6. Peter Tondee says:

The folks I’d like to see run probably have no interest in doing so in this climate. I’d come out of the wilderness to work for a Cathy Cox or Wyc Orr type. But realistically were probably looking at Barrow, Reed, or Carter as top-tier possibles (if we are lucky). A strong female candidate to run against the likely retrogrades coming from the other side would be nice.

An open seat is a lot more intriguing, but it will still be hard in a non-presidential lower turnout election.

7. Crystal M says:

Bleh. I’d rather see a flaming dog turd take his seat than either Broun or Gingrey.

Can’t we find just a few politicians in Georgia to send to the national stage that aren’t living in a bubble of their own delusions?

8. Steve says:

One of the more interesting arguments I have heard is this one (please note, I am not endorsing it):

John Barrow. Barrow is a “conservative” Democrat that has inexplicably won elections he should have lost. But, in 2014, he’s basically a lost cause. The only reason he survived in 2012 is because he had an opponent who was, quite possibly, the worst candidate ever. He’s not safe, and as long as the Republicans get their act together (which, by the rumors I have heard, they are doing), his chances of keeping that seat are slim. So why not try? Worst case, he ends up without a job, which he would probably be the same position he would be in had he run for re-election. Best case? He’s a Senator.

• Peaches says:

Interesting idea. You’re so right that he has “inexplicably won elections he should have lost”. He’s always been too conservative for me, but then, almost everyone is.

9. zmcfall says:

Jim Marshall would be a great candidate for several reasons. I also like Shirley Franklin.

10. Peaches says:

And I shouldn’t forget Mark Taylor, although I’ve no idea what he’s doing these days.

11. Peaches says:

Well, the list of Dems that could win statewide is pretty short. Top of my list would be Jason Carter. Others that spring to mind are: Michelle Nunn and Cathy Cox, neither of which has expressed any interest in running. And let’s not forget Scott Holcomb. Having already run a statewide race for SOS, he knows what it involves.

I dread to see who the Republicans nominate.