Great day in Newnan today.  Despite the length and some ill-advised shenanigans, it was all in all a good day.

I do want to make a few brief notes about campaign rollouts, because two specific individuals (who will not remain nameless) really need to learn a thing or two.

Rule #1: Always know your audience.

Sen. Steen Miles seems like a kind person.  She’s articulate and fiery.  But she should basically drop out of the race at this point, because she lost any institutional support whatsoever.  Why?  While touting her progressive bona fides, she mentioned that her faith has led her to believe that marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman, and then proceeded to endorse, not marriage equality, but civil unions.

There was no applause on that line, and she completely lost the room, and therefore all institutional support.

Rule #2: Prepare a damn speech.

If you’re going to run for office, or plan to run for office, or explore a run for office, and then you show up to a group where you might possibly have the opportunity to speak, you need to have a freaking speech ready.  Sen. Connie Stokes unquestionably didn’t.  I have no idea what she said.  For a formal announcement, it was pretty terrible.  Admittedly, she has a story to tell, and has a pretty good record to run on (though that record ended a few years ago, when she left elected office).  But when a speech ends and I have no idea what was said, we have a problem.  I most sincerely hope nobody recorded it, because it just did not have the coherence necessary for someone’s public premier, much less one for Governor.

Afterword

I will end on a positive note.  The first time I heard Dr. Rad speak, he could have used Rule #2.  His speech was long, and too much time was spent discussing the minutae of issues nobody cared about.  But today, I heard a much different speech.  It was short, and left a good impression.  Frankly, I feel bad for the guy, because he’s going to lose to Michelle Nunn, but I do like him.  He’s nice, well-spoken, and frankly should be in elected office.  I wish he’d run for Insurance Commissioner, because we need someone good in that race, and a doctor is just what…the…doctor…ordered.  I didn’t think that sentence out well.

22 Responses to A Short Note on Campaign Rollouts

1. griftdrift says:

“Dick riding”. Going to have to remember that one.

I sure wish Steen Miles was running for Lt.Gov instead.

As to her comments on same sex marriage, this is yet another example of folks just NOT READY to answer this question. Michelle Nunn didn’t do much better with her “personally” supporting it, but doubling down on states rights legislatively. I mean WTH?

Steen’s mindset seems to be from 2004, when supporting civil unions would have been groundbreaking. A great deal has changed since then. Much more acceptance and support since the President came out for full marriage equality in May 2012.

I think the larger point is being missed with many of these comments, if you are going to put yourself in front of 250 diehard Democrats you need to have your game tighter than what we saw on Saturday. This isn’t the place to practice, do that farther off the radar than a State Committee meeting.

“Surprise” announcements on running for Gov, well lets not try that again. Especially when it wasn’t a surprise after seeing it on Peach Pundit earlier.

I agree with folks about Dr. Rad, he’s certainly a viable candidate for something, not sure if it’s the US Senate, but his efforts are not going unnoticed by many.

With the shorter campaign season and fundraising calendar it’s critical that campaigns hit the ground running, don’t waste time stumbling, and they need to engage immediately with the base.

As a candidate you can build goodwill in a zillion ways, 99% are not through incoherent speeches at a State Committee meeting on steroids.

3. Gunner says:

Less educated? Nice. Does that mean that arrogance still prevails in the larger ones?

4. Cindylou says:

DuBose Porter is old school conservative rural Georgian. I think his election reflects the sad fact that the less educated and parochial small county Democrats still prevail in leadership.

I think he does a lot of work with the Boy Scouts. Does anyone know what his position on gay membership and leadership is?

5. Olga says:

If you like Dr Rad, support him and don’t be concerned about Nunn. If we want ‘annointed’ candidates, lets nominate them in a caucus. But we don’t. We have a primary, and we get to choose.

• nastyoldman says:

I prefer Michelle Nunn. I frankly think she is the better candidate for US Senate. But I do still like Dr. Rad, and I really do think he’d be an amazing candidate for Insurance Commissioner.

6. Mr. Marriott says:

If Steen Miles should drop out for saying she believes in traditional marriage, DuBose Porter should resign his chairmanship right now.

Porter voted to ban gay marriage in Georgia. Where’s the outcry from the rank-and-file that the man who is one of 120 reasons why the gay marriage ban made it through the House is now leading a party that has this in its platform:

” We support marriage equality and support the movement to secure equal treatment under law for same-sex couples.

We oppose discriminatory federal and state constitutional amendments and other attempts to deny equal protection of the laws to committed same-sex couples who seek the same respect and responsibilities as other married couples.”

• BatGurl says:

See, the difference is that DuBose’s view (much like that of President Obama) has evolved. Unless she has changed her mind in the past 24 hours, Steen Miles’ has not.

• Mr. Marriott says:

So what you’re saying is Steen Miles expressing her personal opinion in public is wrong, but DuBose Porter using government to impose his personal opinion upon the public is okay because DuBose “evolved.” If DuBose has “evolved” so damn much, why did he refuse to commit to repealing the gay marriage ban he voted for when he ran for Governor in 2010?

• BatGurl says:

I’m not going to spend the time engaging with you on an issue unrelated to this post. I, too, was in the room, and the poster is correct in saying that the room fell completely silent. She literally lost everyone in there with that one sentence.

And, for the record, I never said his vote was “okay.” I simply said that his opinion now is not the same as his opinion then.

• Mr. Marriott says:

I understand you’re too busy dick riding DuBose to take off the rose colored glasses and realize Porter’s opinion then is why gay marriage is banned in Georgia now. It’s amazing how many Democrats are completely silent about that simple truth.

• Mr. Marriott says:

So what you’re saying is Steen Miles expressing her personal opinion in public is wrong, but DuBose Porter using government to impose his personal opinion upon the public is okay because DuBose “evolved.” If DuBose has “evolved” so much, why did he refuse to commit to repealing the gay marriage ban he voted for when he ran for Governor in 2010?

• JMPrince says:

MIA. Missing the subsequent legal developments that even the USSC had to concede had some legit legal standing. As Jules put it then, ‘Why’d she feel the need to mention it then?’ If it’s her personal opinion, fine, keep it that way. As a matter of public policy, we’re trying for non discrimination now. Because truth be told? There’s only a few 100 ‘types’ of marriages seen in these United States. We can’t discriminate between all the ones we don’t like or imagine one type might be better than the rest, ‘As long as consenting adults’ are party to the contract. And yes, that may describe ‘civil unions’ to some extent, but it’s not the same, really. JMP

7. Peaches says:

Dr. Rad seems like someone who could serve well in any number of elected positions. Yesterday was the first time I heard him speak and he’s impressive.