Remember the “Fighting Dems“? Back in 2006, there was a movement spearheaded by Markos Moulitsas et al promoting military veterans (most of them OIF and OEF vets) running for Congress. Granted, only 5 of the House candidates won, but that cohort notably included folks like Joe Sestak, Tammy Duckworth, and Jim Webb, [...]
Despite pressure from Congress and the White House, the Department of Defense has been banking on an internal review to determine whether or not it will endorse an end to the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy. Despite the obvious and unnecessary red tape at play here, the survey’s feedback has unfortunately been [...]
While President Obama’s nomination of Gen. David Petraeus to replace Gen. Stanley McChrystal is the lead military story in most news outlets, it’s easy to forget the latest happenings over in Iraq. In particular, Operation Iraqi Freedom (or Operation New Dawn, take your pick) is getting a new commander. Lt. Gen. Lloyd Austin, nominated [...]
In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset [...]
This week, Soldiers from Georgia’s 48th Infantry Brigade Combat Team will begin returning home from a 12-month deployment in Afghanistan, though the fighting is hardly over. The seemingly overnight transition from a mild-mannered civilian occupation to the front lines in arguably one of the most definitive conflicts of this generation certainly isn’t [...]
Although I still believe that Jim Webb-sponsored Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 is one of the greatest bills passed this past decade, it’s painful to see such a good program so mired in delay and inefficiency. Rep. Harry Mitchell of Arizona says enough is enough, especially considering the revelation that apparently [...]
With the advent of President Obama’s election came a forceful commitment to withdraw American forces from Iraq. However, during both the campaign and in more recent discourse, largely missing from that debate has been considerations from the logistical nightmare involved with such an undertaking. More to the point, counteracting six years of build up intended [...]
Back in January 2007 in his first act as senator, decorated Vietnam War veteran and former Secretary of the Navy Jim Webb, the then-junior senator from Virginia, proposed a massive and desperately needed update to what many have called one of the most important pieces of legislation ever to be enacted into law. Despite [...]
- Jeff Anderson on Hey, look here we’ve already had the Alice in Wonderland post once! Now on to Oz!
- Brian on Hey, look here we’ve already had the Alice in Wonderland post once! Now on to Oz!
- JMPrince on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Peaches on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Gerald on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Jilly on Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- Juliana on TGIF Open Thread
- Bob Peckerwood on TGIF Open Thread
- Hey, look here we’ve already had the Alice in Wonderland post once! Now on to Oz!
- Alice in Wonderland Open Thread
- TGIF Open Thread
- Happy Pride Month!
- Sweet Baby Jesus on a breadstick, what an ass
- Tuesday Roundup
- Chair to Resign Post at Democratic Party of Georgia. Complete with Details.
- Dear John, oops I mean Mike
- “Details” Watch: Day 4 (Can I Get a Witness?)
- “Details” Watch: Day 3 (It’s the By-Laws, Stupid!)
- “Details” Watch: Day 2 Fact Checker
- “Details” Watch: Day 1
- Snark Wednesday-Open Thread
- Memorial Day
- It’s your party.
- Monday Open Thread
- Greetings from Michigan!
- Link Mania otherwise known as Snark Wednesday